Saturday, March 31

Ostara

I woke up this morning, threw on my cloak, and headed out with my little sister to make myself my first broom.
His name is Ozwald. I later researched and found that 'Oswald' (pronounced oz-vald) is German for 'divine power'. Fitting, I suppose.
Although I much prefer staffs, I couldn't find a suitable branch on such short notice and suck with a broom instead. =)






Here's how I made him.

Materials Used:
  • The broken handle of an old gardening tool
  • The straps off a straw bale
  • A large bundle of twigs
  • 2 sturdy sticks about 7 inches long and a centimeter wide.
  • A wood burner


I took the bundle of twigs, made sure that they were of roughly equal length, and separated them into groups of 4. I took the first 2 groups and tied them at the top. Then I tied them to the first stick. 
I did the same to the other 2.
Then I weaved in the second stick through the groups and tied up the deal.
It ended up looking like this, but much tighter.
Then I tied the handle to it, thought up a name, wood burned said name into it, spontaneously added a sprig of mint and a sprig of thyme, blessed it with sage smoke, set it out by the door, and went back inside.

It took a medium amount of time and --while it doesn't look very pretty (I should use a different rope next time)-- It works.
I should have also taken pictures of the process, but I am quite happy with Ozwald. He was fun to make and offered me some bonding time with my little sister.
All in all, this was a great Ostara. =)

Happy Spring!!
Blessed be. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!