Saturday, April 21

My First Beltane!

May 1st is Beltane! This Sabbat, I'm springing in to action (pun not originally intended) and planning out my day!
Unfortunately, I'll be at my Mom's house on Tuesday, so I'll just have to hold the observance on Thursday. =)
Beltane, or Mayday, is a time of unity, fertility, and the joining of summer and spring. Although it is usually celebrated with bonfires and a maypole, I 'll skip out on the bonfire. If my yard were to catch fire, I would be very sad. =(
I'll probably make a mini maypole though! It can have woven flowers, ribbons, and other fun stuff. I'll put it in my yard near my chicken burial ground. (It is the place I bury dead chickens and pets, just in case you were wondering. Despite all the sadness that comes with burying dead things, the place has some very positive, happy energies. Maybe because it's healthy. Maybe because I just like digging in the ground. Maybe it because of the overhanging persimmon tree. Any way, It's a great place.)
Although Mayday's traditional colors are red and white, most people also use vivid blue and pink, lavender, yellow, and white. Flowers, fire, ribbons, and mirrors are a Mayday theme.

Here is my planned Beltane in a nutshell:

---
Beltane
Symbolism
Unity, the meeting of spring and summer, fertility.

Rituals and Activities
Picking flowers, weaving ribbons and wreaths, setting up a maypole, decorating the persimmon tree. Dancing and music. (I'm going to use Battlefield Band. It's very good Scottish Folk music.)


Themes and Colors
Ribbons, flowers, woven branches. Blue, pink, lavender, yellow, and white.
---

Happy coming Beltane, everyone! =^^=
Blessed be.
-Gwen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!